Montgomery County Opens Cooling Centers
Find out where to stay cool in the heat.
With 210,000 Montgomery County Pepco customers without power in soaring temperatures, it's going to be tough to stay cool.
Montgomery County has opened three cooling centers across the county and four public libraries with air conditioning. Takoma Park has one cooling center open.
- Richard Montgomery High School (250 Richard Montgomery Drive in Rockville)
- Clarksburg High School (22500 Wims Road in Clarksburg)
- White Oak Recreation Center, (1700 April Lane in White Oak.)
- Takoma Park Community Center (7500 Maple Ave. in Takoma Park from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.)
The Germantown, Bethesda, Praisner and Damascus public libraries are all also open.
There are 500 out of 800 traffic signals without power across the county and all dark intersections should be treated as a four-way stop.
The following pools are closed:
- Martin Luther King both indoor and outdoor
All scheduled Montgomery County Recreational Department programs and activities are canceled.
To report hot or sparkling wires, especially those across roadways, call 911.