This holiday season is almost over, and as you toss plants and holiday decorations away make sure to keep the family pet in mind.
Five Quick Tips:
- Keep poisonous plants out of reach of your pets. Poinsettias, mistletoe and holly are the most common offenders, as well as lilies that are harmful to cats. A complete list of plants should help narrow it down.
- Keep the garbage can lid securely closed, or even in another room away from your pets.
- Some tree decorations can harm pets the same way that some toys can harm kids. Be especially careful if you’re using glass ornaments that can shatter or that have sharp hooks that can rip a pet’s insides if swallowed.
- Something you should know year-round but especially after your regular veterinarian’s business hours is where to get emergency help if you need it.
- Plan ahead in the unfortunate occasion that your pet does dash out the door after getting spooked from the noise of fireworks on New Year’s Eve.
Join Patch’s Local Voices! We want to provide a platform for your message.
Email Tamika Smith, the Community Manager for Montgomery County, at Tamika@Patch.com to sign up.