A holiday police task force released the results of its eight-week effort against drunk driving and underaged drinking Wednesday, netting 317 arrests for drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs and another 270 gallons of beer confiscated from underage drinkers.
The Montgomery County Police working with the Maryland State Police, Gaithersburg Police and the Maryland-National Capital Park Police launched the 15-member task force from mid-November through New Year’s Eve.
According to the report the task force:
- arrested 317 people who were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- initiated more than 3,400 traffic stops; and one of every ten of those resulted in a drunk driving arrest
- issued 309 alcohol citations
- responded to 23 alcohol-related party complaints.
The task force also proactively enforced underage drinking statutes. Officers seized in excess of:
- 270 gallons of beer equal to about 300, 12-packs of beer
- 40 gallons of liquor equal to about 200 bottles of liquor.
A press conference is scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday at the Public Safety Training Academy in Rockville where Captain Thomas Didone, director of the Montgomery County Police Traffic Division, other police officials, and task force officers will discuss the problems of drunk driving and underage drinking and will release additional information about the impact of this task force.