SPEAK OUT: What's Your Favorite County Fair Contest?
There are nine contests that take place during the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair.
The 64th annual Montgomery County Agricultural Fair opens at 10 a.m. Friday and runs through Saturday, Aug. 18. Along with the traditional rides and vendors, there are nine contests, including some that are sure to raise some eyebrows.
The contests, according to the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair website, include:
Veggie 500 Races
- What: Create and race a car made out of vegetables. Car base provided. Vegetable provided or you may bring your own special veggie.
- When: Saturday, Aug. 11 from 2:30-4 p.m.
- Where: Community Square
Amateur Flowering Arranging Contest
- When: Sunday, Aug. 12 at 10 a.m.
- Where: Heritage - Garden Room
Skid Steer Loader Operator's Contest
- When: Tuesday, Aug. 14 at 6 p.m.
- Where: Grandstand
Invitational Amateur Cheese Carving Contest
- What: Free art sculpturing. With a 2-pound block of cheese you have 30 minutes to carve your masterpiece. Come with your ideas. Awards are given for the most imaginative, finest art, most fair related, etc. - everyone gets a ribbon.
- When: Tuesday, Aug. 14 at 10:30 a.m.
- Where: Near the cheese booth
Toilet Decorating Contest
- When: Friday, Aug. 10
- Where: Near Building No. 3
- When: August 10-18
- Where: Take your completed picture to the Fair Office at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds during the annual Montgomery County Agricultural Fair.
Hermit Crab Racing Contest
- What: Bring your own crab, or rent a crab the day of the race for $1. $1 crab fee is donated to Second Chance Wildlife. No pre-registration needed, just be at Racing Park at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday and be ready to race your crab. If you have any questions please contact Ruth at Animal Exchange 301-424-7387.
- When: Wednesday, Aug. 15 at 3 p.m.
- Where: Racing Park
You Be The Judge—Holiday Stockings For The Troops
- What: Bring your items to the Home Arts Building (top of Building 6) during normal fair registration hours: Thursday, Aug. 9 from 4-8 p.m. or Friday, Aug. 10 from 2-8 p.m. General Public voting will be held from Sunday, Aug. 12 until Wednesday, Aug. 15 from 10 am to 9 p.m. Winners will be notified by phone by the end of the day on Friday, Aug. 17, and a special awards presentation will be held in the Home Arts Building on Saturday, Aug. 18 at 7 p.m.
- What: Want to live the dream of being the next idol? Here is your chance to be a star! There will be 20 contestants singing each evening on Friday, Aug. 10, and Saturday, Aug. 11, at 8 p.m. Twenty semi-finalists will be performing again on Friday, Aug. 17, at 8 p.m. with the 10 finalists singing their last song on Saturday, Aug. 18, at 8 p.m.
For more information about the contest visit the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair website.