I love summer in Bethesda for so many reasons: the Central Farmer’s Market at Bethesda Elementary School, outdoor events on the Row, and dining outside at one of my many favorite restaurants. But with summer comes the dreaded D.C. humidity, and working at a hair salon means I’m not allowed to have bad hair days! So for my inaugural blog post, here is a roundup of some of my favorite tips from Bella Bethesda Salon stylists to help us beat the heat together.
1. It’s not just your skin that needs sunscreen: Long days in the sun and heat styling can do a number on your locks. Protect your hair from the heat by always applying a UV protector before stepping out in the sun. Before jumping in the pool, make sure your hair is prepared by applying a leave-in conditioner so hair won't absorb chlorine and discolor.
2. Know what tools to use: Minimize breakage by combing through your hair with a wide tooth comb while in the shower. Do this after applying conditioner to evenly distribute the product and also promote strong hair. If blow drying straight, use a natural bristle brush to help smooth frizz.
3. Quench your dry hair: Humidity reactivates the natural underlying texture of the hair, causing the cuticle of the hair to lay unevenly, which results in frizz and cancels out all the hard work you may have done during a blow out. Fight the frizz by applying a leave-in conditioner. This helps protect hair by restoring its natural defense and maintaining moisture levels. Avoid products that are alcohol based, which can dry out hair leading to breakage and frizz.
4. Stay cool: Turn off the hair dryer and let your hair air dry. This is a good way to cut down on your energy bill while also preventing damage and dryness that can be caused by heat appliances. Just remember to let hair dry completely before pulling into a ponytail to avoid breakage. If you must apply heat, begin by scrunching product into damp hair and twisting strands individually to enhance your hair’s natural wave. Next, use a diffuser on high heat, but low air, being careful not to touch hair more than necessary.
5. Follow the hair diet: Become bikini ready and maintain beautiful locks by incorporating healthy foods into your diet this summer. Foods rich in omega-3s, like salmon and flaxseed oil, can contribute to a healthy scalp. Nuts such as walnuts and almonds are a terrific source of zinc, which can help fight hair loss.
I hope these tips help you tackle all your seasonal hair troubles. You can stop by the salon any Tuesday in June for a complimentary Phyto Treatment and personalized tips on keeping your hair healthy this summer. Leave any questions or favorite beat-the-heat tips in the comments below!
Leeanne Decker is Salon Coordinator at Bella Bethesda Salon.