.

Firefighters Rescue Elderly Woman from House Fire

An oil-filled space heater may have caused a Bethesda house fire early Thursday.

Firefighters rescued a 90-year-old woman from a Bethesda house fire early Thursday, according to a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service statement.

The woman remains hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries. The fire also displaced three other adult residents.

A smoke alarm alerted a family to the fire that started around 5:30 a.m. in their home in the 7700 block of Glenmore Springs Way. Firefighters received mutliple calls from neighbors reporting the fire.

Responding to reports that one person was trapped in the home, firefighters rescued an elderly woman from the back bedroom, according to the statement.

At the scene, responders battled heavy fire conditions in the attached garage of the single family ranch home before bringing the fire under control. The fire caused $200,000 worth of damage to the home and contents.

Investigators determined the fire may have been caused by an oil-filled space heater in the garage. The space heater was plugged into an extension cord, and a malfunction with the space heater cord or extension cord may have been the cause, firefighters said.

"A working smoke alarm, along with alert neighbors, were a life-saving combination," officials said in the release.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something