Concerned about protecting yourself from cell phone theft?
Police report high numbers of iPhone and cell phone theft in recent months and they offer the following tips to avoid being targeted by thieves.
1) Store electronics out of sight when they are not in use. “People see it as routine to visibly carry a phone worth several hundred dollars, but would never walk around with the same amount of cash in their hand.” - Cpl. Cathleen E. Batton, Baltimore County Police Department.
2) Make a record of your cell phone number, make, model, serial number and put a pass code on your phone right after purchasing. – Officer Janelle Smith, Montgomery County Police Department.
3) Install anti-theft applications such as Find My iPhone. – Officer Janelle Smith, Montgomery County Police Department.
4) If an attempt is made to steal your phone, give the phone to the suspect. Phones can be replaced. And if your phone is stolen, call police. – Officer Janelle Smith, Montgomery County Police Department.
5) Never leave your phone in plain sight in a vehicle and don’t leave it lying around in public places, such as bars or restaurants. – Mary Phelan, Howard County Police Department.