Police released photos on Tuesday of two suspects in the scheme.
Anyone with information regarding the suspects’ identity is asked to contact the Financial Crimes Section at 240-773-6330. Those who wish to remain anonymous may call Crime Solvers of Montgomery County toll-free at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477) or leave a Crime Solvers tip here. Crime Solvers will pay a cash reward of up to $10,000 for information provided to them that leads to an arrest or indictment for this felony crime.
Here are some tips from county police detectives to help avoid becoming a victim when using an ATM or other credit card reader:
- Inspect the ATM, gas pump or credit card reader before using it. Be suspicious if you notice that any parts are loose, crooked or damaged, or if you notice scratches or adhesive or tape residue on the device.
- When entering your pin, block the keypad with your other hand to prevent possible hidden cameras from recording your number.
- If possible, use an ATM that is located inside of the bank, as these machines are less accessible to criminals to install skimmers.
- If the ATM is located inside the bank and your card is required to access the inside, check the card reader prior to swiping your card.
- Use caution when using ATMs in tourist areas. These machines are popular targets of skimmers.
- If your card is not returned after the transaction or after hitting "cancel," immediately contact the financial institution that issued the card.
- Beware of "shoulder surfers"—individuals behind you who may be looking over your shoulder to obtain your PIN number.