Here's what happened in the towns around you over the last 24 hours. Brought to you by our team of editors, reporters, photographers and videographers.
- : Thomas Edison High School hosted the regional competition of Skills USA, a national organization that focuses on technical, career and other skills. Edison students placed in the top three in nearly all categories.
- : Rockville tuned its ear to Annapolis and the Maryland General Assembly, which is currently debating a bill that would let students who graduate from Maryland high schools but do not have legal status, pay in-state or in-county tuition.
- : A new Hardy Middle School principal met with parents for the first time on Wednesday. Daniel Shea's predecessor was ousted last month.
- : Volunteer fire fighters will no longer have the benefit of a complimentary meal while working after the county suspended volunteer food budgets for the remainder of the fiscal year.
- : The Borders bookstore in Friendship Heights will close, along with other branches across the country, after the business filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy.