Here's a sampling of what's happening in the area:
- Where: Strosniders Hardware, 6930 Arlington Rd., Bethesda.
- When: Saturday, Oct. 12, from 10 to 11 a.m.
- Price: Registration is free. Register on the store's website.
- Description: Learn all about canning.
- Where: St. Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, 15100 New Hampshire Ave., Silver Spring. (Note: The Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church of Washington, DC, at 701-A Norwood Rd., Silver Spring, hosts the annual festival. The St. Andrew location is a temporary one.)
- When: Saturday, Oct. 12, from noon to 9 p.m., and Sunday, Oct. 13, from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Price: Free admission and parking. Credit cards accepted to pay for food and other items.
- Description: Enjoy the largest and oldest Greek festival in the DC area. In addition to Greek food, the festival features authentic Greek coffees, beers, wines and live Greek music. The Greek marketplace offers books, jewelry, trinkets and religious items.
- Where: St. Nicholas Cathedral, 3500 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC.
- When: Saturday, Oct. 12, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday, Oct. 13, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Price: Admission is free.
- Description: Enjoy Russian, Ukrainian, Georgian and Serbian food and a variety of Slavic folk music and dance performances. Take a tour of the cathedral and shop for gifts and in the rummage sale. Watch iconographers create sacred icons. Activities for children include face painting and crafts.
- Where: Montgomery County Fairgrounds (16 Chestnut St., Gaithersburg).
- When: Friday, Oct. 11, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday, Oct. 12, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and Sunday, Oct. 13, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Price: Admission (valid all three days) for adults is $8 online and $10 at the door. Children under 12 are admitted free-of-charge. Parking is free-of-charge.
- Description: More than 250 of the most celebrated artisans from around the country show and sell their handcrafted work. Now in its 39th year, the festival invites art enthusiasts to meet the jury-selected artists and purchase unique items of functional and decorative pottery, sculpture, glass, jewelry, fashion, leather, wood, metal, furniture, home accessories, photography and fine art.
Is your organization, committee, house of worship, business, performance group, team, etc. holding an event soon? Add it to the calendar today!