Westland Middle School
Westland Middle School, located along Massachusetts Avenue in Bethesda, is a Montgomery County Public School that serves children in grades 6 though 8. It's certified as a Maryland green school, which means it has been recognized for practicing sustainability and including environmental education in its curriculum.
It's also an International Baccalaureate World School, which means it partners with the International Baccalaureate to provide international education programs. Westland has a special focus on Chilean culture; Chile's former president, Michelle Bachelet, attended the school from 1962-1964.
- Fax: 301-320-7084
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 7:30am - 4pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Number of students: 1,010
- Public/Private: Public
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 12 to 1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 75
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The school supports Pennies for Patients, a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society; holds support the troops drive, and worked to raise funds for the victims of the Haitian earthquake.
- What makes this community special?: The strong sense of community and the importance that parents place on education.
- Grade levels: 6-8
- Special education: Yes
- Uniforms: No
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Student clubs: Student clubs and activities run the gamut from a Math Olympiad team to a debate team to cooking.
- Sports teams: Students can play competitive sports including basketball, softball, soccer, and cross country. Intramural sports groups include dance, step and weightlifting.